21 February 2012
An analysis of home enterprise places the district of Surrey as the primary 'hotspot' for home offices amongst the 174 Principal Authority areas in England and Wales.
The 'hotspot' analysis ranks all the Authority areas on their volumes of home offices and their percentage of home offices as a proportion of all those in employment in the area. It shows that, with some 27,000 home offices and almost 5 per cent of total area employment working in home offices, Surrey marks itself out as the nation's top home office hotspot. In contrast, the 'average' Principal Authority in England & Wales is home to around 5,000 home offices, and accounts for 3 per cent of employment.
The Top 25 home office hotspots are dominated by the Greater South East (an area which comprises London, the South East and East of England). Just under two thirds (64 per cent) of the Top 25 are in the Greater South East, despite the fact the area only accounts for just over one third (36 per cent) of all Principal Authorities in England and Wales.
Full press release: (includes map and tables)
The country's home office hotspots revealed (21 February 2012)
- The Independent: Should every home have a home office?
- LocalGov.co.uk: Surrey named as home working hotspot
- LondonLovesBusiness.com: Home offices spring up across London
- PropertyTalkLive.co.uk: UK's top home office hotspot revealed
- Outsourcery.co.uk: Survey reveals importance of home offices
- Total Investor: Surrey is the country's top home office hotspot
- AOL Money: Surrey tops home office league table
- AboutProperty.co.uk: Surrey named as top 'home office' hotspot
- Broadband-Finder.co.uk: Surrey is England's top home office hotspot, research shows
- Smart New Homes: Home offices in high demand in Surrey
- EasierProperty: Surrey is the country's top home office hotspot
- WiFi Hotspot: The country's home office hotspots revealed
- Work from Home: Surrey top for homeworkers
- Andover Advertiser: Home work 'hot spot'
- Basinstoke Gazette: Home work 'hot spot'
- Broadband-Finder.co.uk: Beverley has 'UK's fastest broadband'
- Tooway Broadband: Video conferencing 'brings corporate benefits'
- Get Wokingham: Surrey is hotspot for home offices
- My Family Home: Workers are choosing a home office
- 'Third of UK postcodes' have slow broadband speeds
- £17m faster broadband bid submitted
- UK still missing from global ranking of Ultrafast FTTH Broadband countries
- About 20 per cent of global workers telecommute: poll
Press release archive